I hope you enjoyed my last recipe on prosciuttini. Today we have brought you another mouthwatering new dish from Albanian cuisine. This is Qofte! The golden fried Qofte. The Albanian Qofte is filled with lamb, herbs and seasoned paprika. Typically, Qofte is an ideal combination with sandwiches, salads, bread and yoghurt.
What actually is Qofte?
Qofte may be a new topic to you. But meatballs will not. So, it is an easy introduction. Because Qofte is also a type of meatballs. This dish is one of the original national dishes in Albania and a typical food item in Middle Eastern cuisine.
There are different types of Qofte recipes and flavors. I am personally addicted to the Qofte made of feta cheese and mint. However, today I am going to share with you how my mother used to make Qofte in the simplest way.
How to prepare Qofte?
Let me tell you the ingredients and the steps to prepare a delicious Qofte for your lunch.
|flour||50g for shaping|
1 & 1 egg white Eggs, 1 Tbsp Flour,15ml Water, Salt, 50ml Approx, Vegetable Oil for cooking
- First rub some olive oil large baking tray and add the meat on it to spread.
- Then add egg York, salt, grated onion, breadcrumbs, parsley oregano, salt, paprika and some pepper on it.
- Third step is to mix and knead. Continue this process until meat becomes soft enough to roll into one big ball.
From the recipe I am sharing today, you can make 12 meat balls from these ingredients. You can increase the number by proportionately increasing the amount of ingredients.
- So now you can break the big ball into 12 equal pieces.
- Then take piece of the mixture and roll it into small balls.
- On a clean surface, sprinkle some flour and try flattening each ball on the surface.
- Then you can shape all the balls into an oval shape.
- Now you have come to the final stage. Put 3cm of cooking oil into a pan and heat into the medium heat.
- Until the oil heats, prepare the egg, egg white, flour, water and salt together whisking in a small bowl.
- Next dip meatballs in the egg mix and fry them until they turn golden in color. This will take 2-3 minutes. Now you can remove the balls from the pan and let balls drain away.
Here comes your Qofte. Serve with some salad and yogurt for an unforgettable experience.
Tips to prepare Qofte.
My mother used to fry Qofte, and I am also doing so. But to experience a change we also bake them in oven. Especially when you are busy with other work, try baking them in the oven for 30 minutes.
For a mesmerizing flavor, you can add flaked mint to the mixture.
Qofte recipe for oven (Albanian Meatballs with Feta Cheese)
For this entire process you will need 35 minutes, 2o minutes for cooking and 15 minutes for preparation.
|ground beef (or lamb, or chicken) breadcrumbs.||1 lb|
|chopped feta cheese||1 3/4 tbsp|
|white onion grated||2 tbsp|
|crushed, dried mint leaves||1/2 tbsp|
|ground paprika||1/2 tbsp|
- As usual you need to preheat the oven. Set it to 400 degrees.
- Mix all the ingredients and make small oval shaped balls.
- Place these balls on a baking sheet and heat for 20 minutes.
- You can serve with yogurt dipping sauce for a better taste.
Try either frying or baking Qofte and share your experience in our comments section.